Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Least seismically active areas of the United States?

I realize that "active" might be a subjective term when dealing with seismic activity, since Illinois had its strongest earthquake in 40 years two weeks ago, with not much noticeable activity in the area in a long time, but I got to wondering, over the past 50-100 years, what has been the least seismically active areas of the U.S.? I notice from this map from the U.S. Geological Survey that the Aleutian Islands almost never STOP showing seismic activity:





http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/rece...





As a personal aside, I thought going through the 5.2 was pretty cool. I was having my morning coffee when it hit, and it really woke me up...the earthquake, not the coffee. :-)

Least seismically active areas of the United States?
Yep, it is interesting, isn't it! We had one of similar magnitude here in the UK a couple of months back. I was at my computer, and I had to hold the monitor, which threatened to jump right off it's base!


Afraid I'm unable to answer your question, but I'm sure the answer is available from the USGS site.


No comments:

Post a Comment